2012 Appeal

2012 Appeal for contributions to write your own history of Carriacou.

I see the Carriacou 1968 website as an opportunity for the history of Carriacou to be written through the eyes of ‘ordinary’ people.
I would like to appeal to anyone with anecdotes, memories, photos, videos, poems, music or anything else of interest from Carriacou in the 1960’s (or any other decade) to send them to make up a body of knowledge that could become a history of the island from your perspective.
History is not just about politicians and government, it’s about everyday living, customs and traditions. It’s about keeping alive the things we value. Anyone and everyone who lived, or knows people who lived, in Carriacou will have something of interest to say.
So, if anyone would like to contribute all you need do is:

Just post using the contact box at the bottom of this page and I’ll put it up for you in your name or anonymously (as you wish).

Finally, Best wishes to you all for 2012.

Bill

65 Responses to 2012 Appeal

1. Pam Youngs says:

Hi Bill.

I went in August of 1974 and I believe I might still have a picture of you
    walking by the lab with your flippers. I will look for it tonight and see if
    I can scan it with any others I might find.

Thank you for the wonderful introduction to Marine Biology.
    Pam Youngs

Original comment first published on 20.01.2014

2. Ian Cardarelli says:

Hello Bill, if I remember you had a Fiat X19 and I think we went skiing once with Jim Day, from Kingston who I roomed with. If I remember we were there in July of 74. Every time I hear a Bob Marley tune I think of Carriacou.

3. Bart Miller says:

Hi Bill. Thank you for creating this string. I recognize some of the names and their memories stir up some of my own. I was at the Camp during the final 1978-79 school year and vividly remember the awesome diving. In fact during one drift dive in the strait between the Camp and White Island, the current was so strong that the individuals in my dive group were being flipped and rolled uncontrollably. Needless to say, the excitement increased air consumption and the bottom times were minimal. However, Scott Hayden and I were pretty cool and kept drifting with the surface buoy…until the sea bottom began to disappear. I remember us surfacing and the dive boat trying to catch up to us in the current. The surface of the water had almost a “reverse chop” due to the strength of the current moving offshore and the wind blowing in the opposite direction. Very weird. Anyway, we finally got into the boat and watched in awe as we headed back to the Camp at a large mushroom-shaped cloud rising upward into the atmosphere above St. Vincent. The volcanic eruption had obviously contributed to the strange conditions.

I remember running along the beach to the swamps and stirring up the small predator fish in the shallows with my pounding feet. I remember the lousy food augmented with a lobster every now and then 🙂 I remember Maurice Bishop’s revolutionaries standing on our dock and commandeering our boat to go check out Saline Island for a potential airdrop of soldiers/mercenaries . They let me take their picture!!! I remember playing soccer with the rest of my classmates against the local Carriacou team to a final score of 1 – 1 and hearing comments that the Grenada national team wanted to play us next (?). Don’t know where that rumor came from but it didn’t materialize. I remember being told that the school was closing down and having to scramble to get some funding from family and friends to a parent or group of parents coordinating our flight out. I had used all of my personal savings to attend the school. I remember being so genuinely inspired by the environment, the instructors, and marine ecosystem that I actually went on and obtained my first BSc in Marine Biology at UVic. I remember arriving in Victoria after leaving Carriacou and looking for a place to live while going to school. I arrived at a house with a room being advertised and, during a brief interview, noticed a huge close-up picture of a person that I recognized. I commented “That picture looks a lot like Uncle B” (our kind and wonderful landscaper at Carriacou) and, can you believe it, one of the folks renting the room (Lori) had been at Carriacou during prior years and enjoyed photography. I remember Mr. Van Riet himself teaching us English with the beautiful view in the background. I remember lot’s of Bob Marley, the Cars, Max Webster, and Genesis.

Lots of very cool memories and I know that there is a large stash of pictures in my attic. I’ll be sure to look and share at a later date. Thank you again and best regards, Bart.

• Bill Cameron says:

Hi Bart. You have some great memories and very interesting stories. I’d love to see your ‘stash of pictures’ and I’m sure many others would like to see them too. What chance you scanning some and emailing them over? I can then put them on the website. I’m certain they will attract a lot of interest. In the meantime if you have any more interesting anecdotes please do send them in. I could do a whole separate post for you if you wanted. I look forward to hearing from you again.
      All the best,
      Bill

• Lots of photos of Camp Carriacou at the Facebook Website URL written in the box above under “Website”, or go to Facebook and search for “Camp Carriacou Marine School”. I taught 2 courses there in 1974-75: Oceanography and Environmental Biology. Linton Riggs’s old C’cou boat “Mermaid of Carriacou” is still sailing the Caribbean by owner John A. Smith. THAT is a major story too. Look up John on Facebook. Thanks for keeping this going Bill!

• Bill Cameron says:

John is ‘holed up’ in Honduras at the moment. He and Mermaid feature regularly on Facebook.

• Nick Cox says:

I would love to see the photos of the soldiers who commandeered you boat. I am sure they would love to see the photos too.

4. Laurel Schoenrank says:

Perhaps Pam and Ian are thinking of the Headmaster from the year I was there for Grade 13 (1976-77), Bill Allison, and he taught the Marine Biology course.

Camp Carriacou truly was a seminal experience.

– Laurie Bridgman

5. Peter Beck says:

Bill thanks for initiating this. Please refer people to our Camp Carriacou Marine School Website! WAS A WONDERFUL TIME THERE FOR ALL CONCERNED. MANY LIFE LESSONS. I ALSO RETURNED IN February OF 2014. MANY CHANGES AND SAD TO SEE THE CAMP in RUIN! Peter Jeff Beck 1975 – 1977

6. Bill Woroshyl says:

Just found this site through a link from Hank. Great site Bill. Ian isn’t the only one with memory issues these days! I was the ‘Bill’ with the Fiat X19. I attended early on (72?) and then worked there as a TA for the next couple of summers. I just posted a few pics on the Carriacou Facebook site recently courtesy of Bill Allison.

7. Tanyss (nee Farquharson) Munro says:

Hi – I just came across this now.

I was part of the first year-long school there – in 73-74 I believe. Bill Van Riet taught the Marine Biology at that time – strict but an excellent teacher. Jeff (don’t recall his last name) taught English and Culture. And Hank, you taught Oceanography and Environment, I believe.

Hank, do you remember getting caught in a current on a scuba diving field trip? Some pirates picked up you and the other couple of boys with you – but in exchange for your watches…. thank goodness you were wearing them.

I’ve often wanted to get in touch with Red (Mildred) McKinlay, but don’t see any sign of her (she was my room mate – long, flaming red hair). What a fantastic year that was – changed my life and since then have done a lot of travelling, but have also really deeply explored cultures – through education.

Tanyss

8. Robert Reid says:

I was a third year medical student at Queens University in Kingston Ontario going into my final year when I applied for the job of “Camp Doctor” that appeared in the Globe and Mail. I was hired immediately but upon reflection Bill Van Reit decided to hire a real doctor and nurse. I was relegated to teaching dive medicine and as an assistant SCUBA instructor. I had previously taken a rather intensive SCUBA training at Royal Military College. Other instructors were Eric Cunningham and Don Cuff. Bill Allison was there that summer. The worst medical issue was a student riding on the right side of the road ( as in Canada but the opposite of what was expected in Carriacou) was hit by a car and broke both legs….. Airlifted to a medical facility on another island. I remember one day when several students were separated from the group on a drift dive and were found well into the ocean ( with great relief in our part). That required to extra swigs of rum and orange juice ( what the dive instructors did after two daily dives and filling tanks for the next day…… Great to remove that salt taste from your mouth). The bacon strips with hair attached, a demonstration of how the local “jack rum” would burn if ignited, crab races and talent shows at the camps were all memorable. The staff became close knit and had a reunion in Toronto about six months after the summer. We shared pictures and had many laughs. I have sent in many of my pictures with several of the staff. There was a tall blonde man and his wife with two young blonde kids there on staff…. But ca’t remember their names. We sailed the two 45 foot catamarans throughout the Exuma keys and dive in Pakm Island when there was nothing there but an open field and a few palm trees. I heard that the year after I left one of the catamarans was wrecked on a reef. Hardly surprising since neither had a motor to get them out if tight moorings. We used to throw the anchor line and swing in an arc to get up wind enough …. Then pull the anchor and hope we came about in time to repeat this maneuver on the other side. Several close calls. I look forward to seeing some of the pics from others campers and would love to hear from any of the staff from ’73. Bob Reid

• Bill Cameron says:

Hi Robert,
      Thank you once again for your contribution. It’s great to have more detail about life on Camp Carriacou in the ’70s. I hope we get more photos or videos sent and maybe the staff of ’73 will read your comment and get in touch. Fingers crossed.
      All the best,
      Bill

9. John Turner says:

Hey I attended Camp Carriacou to study Marine Biology from 1977-1978. I lived in a cabin known as Swamp. My claim to fame was being elected by my peers to be Santa Claus at the annual Christmas party. I believe I spooked all the local employees of Camp Carriacou that attended the Christmas party. If you don’t believe me just ask some of my fellow classmates such as; Scott Hayden, Sue Stern, Scott Poulton, James Kennedy, Sally Moulton, Alison Mack, Gabriella Gardow, Tim Richards, Leslie Born, Jill Tatham, Kelly Sexsmith, Derek Peppler, Ian MacMillan, Tim Richards, Mike Fraser, Bob Wholers (Teacher), Barb & Iggy(Teachers), Fortune, Enid, Victor, Kim(math teacher), Yvonne Schwabe. There are so many more friends that I miss and think of often. I just drank some of Mr. Scott’s “Jack Iron” so please forgive me if I have left out your name. I’m open to suggestions about a reunion as I missed the reunion in Toronto that I believe took place at the Royal York Fairmont Hotel.

For more information contact my daughter’s email
    lauren_turner21@hotmail.com who recently visited Camp Carriacou in May 2015 and has many photos and videos of what’s left of the school (the dining room/caf, the dive shack, and a few cabins- hurricanes caused a lot of damage to the schools buildings)

P.S. I deserved a better mark in my final marine biology assignment as marked by Bob Wholers

10. Susan Payetta says:

Hello, Mr. Cameron; I am enjoying reading your blog and looking at your treasure-chest of photographs. I’m presently working with Carriacou Historical Society to produce a magazine commemorating the Society’s 40th anniversary. To that end we have scoured the museum’s archives for old photographs which is blessed with many fascinating pictures. As you know, it can be a challenge to put names to faces. A wonderful portrait of a sailor racing in the ’66 regatta taken by Linton Rigg has become a bit of a mystery. May I share it with you to see if you can identify the sailor? A few historical photos of Carriacou culled from the Craigston archives appear in Edward Kent’s memoir, Up Before Dawn (Sail Rock Publishing; Paperback 179 pages; ISBN 978-976-95346-0-5).

• Bill Cameron says:

Hi Susan,
      Sounds like an interesting project. I may not be able to identify the sailor myself but if you send the photo I can post it to this website and see if we can get a response. I will email you. I have found the book you mention and managed to order a copy. Thank you. Do let me know if I can be of any assistance.
      Regards,
      Bill

11. Carol Ann Lees says:

I don’t know what led me to this website today 37 years after my experience. I never went there. But, I was accepted to attend the Canadian Junior College in Carriacou for my grade 13 year in 1979. My parents paid several thousands of dollars for my tuition and scuba gear and airfare etc. Then, suddenly, it hit the papers that the place had closed. There were meetings at the Toronto campus which we attended but there was very little information to be shared. What I was told at the time, and I have no idea of the validity of this, is that for some reason the owner had taken the money and run and left his wife to take the brunt of it. My parents did not get a penny of what they had paid back. There was to be no grade 13 for me. It is one of my life’s great disappointments that I did not get to do that school year there. I’m not very sure of what happened that caused the dream to shatter, I just know that it did.

• Bill Cameron says:

Thank you for your comment Carol. That is a worrying story. I’m sorry your parents lost their money and you lost your chance to achieve your grade 13. I assume that Canadian Junior College in Carriacou is what I refer to as Camp Carriacou. Is that correct? Camp Carriacou actually started after my time on the island so I can’t verify your comments because I never knew why Camp Carriacou closed. A number of ex-students have made contributions to this site and, I would hope, some may be able to reply to your comment.

12. Deb says:

Hi, I am wanting to find a copy of my husbands Diploma from The Canadian Junior College. I believe he graduated from there in 1977-78 or 1978-79. Where would I even begin to look. Is there still a College in Ontario that is affiliated with Camp Carriacou?

• Bill Cameron says:

I am, personally, unable to help with your request Deb but there may be people reading this who may can help you. Maybe try the ‘Camp Carriacou Marine School’ page on facebook. Let me know if you have any success.

• Carmen says:

Hi Deb, I came across this site. I attended Canadian Junior College in Lausanne
      1977-1978. It was the last full year before the school closed. I had lost my diploma and I was able to get a copy from the school board of Ontario. All graduates from any of the Canadian Junior Colleges would have been registered with the Ontario school board. Hope this helps.